Kamut® pancakes are hearty, yet light and fluffy, they are an excellent choice for breakfast or a great snack. If you recent Kamut® convert, looking for delicious recipes for this healthy whole wheat flour? Or maybe you have been eating Kamut® for year and you already know how delicious and amazing it is, but you need a great pancake recipe. Whatever your reason for stopping by, this Kamut® pancake recipe is a must try.
These pancakes are a weekend staple in my home, but they are good any time we make them and refrigerate them for up to a week of easy morning meals.
Kamut® Flour is exceptionally healthy as well as tasty. We use Kamut® for most of our household baking but if I had to pick and chose these pancakes, and my delicious Kamut® banana bread are my very favorite things to make with this amazing grain.
What is Kamut® and why is I so good in pancakes?
Kamut® also know as Khorasan wheat is an ancient heirloom grain. The version of Khorasan wheat grown in the U.S. is trademarked as Kamut®. It is guaranteed to never be hybridized or genetically modified and it is always grown organically. Khorasan wheat is known for its nutrient density as well as its digestibility.
Kamut® flour has a subtle nutty flavor and its hearty without being heavy making it the perfect flour to use in pancakes.
For more on this amazing ancient grain visit my post all about Kamut®.
These pancakes are simple and only require six simple whole food ingredients
- Kamut® Flour
- Melted Butter
- Baking powder
- Vanilla Extract
See recipe card for quantities.
These pancakes can be made in one bowl, no need to separate the wet from dry. Do mix dry ingredients before adding in the wet, however.
Combine Flour, sugar and baking powder in a medium sized bowl
Add in the milk, melted butter and then finally the egg and vanilla.
Ladle into a greased non-stick pan, I like using cast iron. Cook on one side until bubbles appear and then flip and cook until both sides are golden.
Pro Tip: Allow your batter to come to room temperature before you start cooking. This will help the pancakes to rise and give you the fluffy consistency everyone loves!
Although these pancakes are excellent as-is, if you need to make some adjustments due to dietary restrictions these helpful substitutions may help
- Butter - instead of using butter you can sub for a flavorless oil. I like avocado, but canola could work as well.
- Milk - If you are dairy free and you need to sub out the milk (butter substation above) you can sub for unflavored nut milk of your choosing, or simply water.
- Sugar - If you are trying cut out out traditional sugar from your diet you can sub in 1 to 1 coconut sugar.
These pancakes are very versatile and delicious with added goodies, below are my favorite variations.
- Banana - you can add one sliced banana to the batter for a sweet surprise in ever birth
- Blueberry - add ½ a cup of fresh or frozen blueberries to make these the best blueberry pancakes you have ever had!
- Sourdough - If you are itching to use your sourdough discard in pancakes and believe me you should!! You can add ½ sourdough starter to this pancake recipe for an even more moist and springy pancake!
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. I like to use a large cast iron pan to cook these pancakes
For more info on cooking supplies I personally own and recommend you can visit this post.
These pancakes will store in the refrigerator in a zip lock bag for up to five days. You can freeze and reheat them in the toaster for up to one month.
Kamut® pancakes are hearty, yet light and fluffy, they are an excellent choice for breakfast or a great snack.
- 1 ¾ cups Kamut®
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tbs cane sugar
- 1 ¾ whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs vanilla
- ⅓ cup melted salted butter
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar.
- In this order wisk in wet ingredients, Milk, butter, egg, vanilla
- wisk all ingredients together until fully combined
- Ladel medium sized scoops into a well buttered cast iron skillet
- flip cakes when the top is bubbling
- cook until both sides are flufflly and golden